header image

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Hyderabad.

A day before departure my class teacher phoned home. She informed my parents that the report cards had been sent out and asked whether they received it. The fact that my report was absconding from the clutches of the folks, sitting peacefully in the back of my bag only made situations worse. It led to the greatest uproar in our household since my 11th standard marks came out. I'm still recovering.

The road to Hyderabad was anything but blissful. The bus we got onto wasn't the one they promised us. It was far from the bus they promised us. Anyway, it was a bus, and it was a long journey through the night. I thought I'd send a few messages and then sleep...

After my messaging spree got over, I decided to get some shut-eye. In fact, I did get some shut-eye. But this shut-eye only lasted a mere 4 minutes. A kid sitting on the lap of his mother behind me, burst into a ball of tears and horrific shrieks. An old man, who got picked up on the way had only the aisle to sleep in. My feet dangled above his greying head. It was very uncomfortable. The bus driver and his conductor (who seemed more like a soul-mate) wouldn't cease with their noisy babble. A woman who got on the bus wouldn't stop with her mourning and the narration of her entire life to a person who fell asleep by the time she reached her teenage years. A toilet-stop at midnight seemed more like a public urination festival of some sort. And to add to all my problems, the charge on my iPod died out.

With only around 2 hours of sleep, we reached Hyderabad, where my uncle and cousin awaited our arrival. The first day passed without me even noticing it. The only thing I remembered was playing Lara Croft: Tomb Raider on my cousin's Playstation 2.
Messages cost a whooping Rs 3.45 each. An incoming call cost an insane Rs. 15.50. Three days away from Bangalore, and my balance decreased by over 100 bucks.

Day 2. We visited the Salar Jung museum. Apart from the usual bunch of rubbish you see at most Indian museums; two things really got my attention. One; a cuckoo clock. Yes. It was a cuckoo clock owned by one of the richest Nizams of that time. It was nothing fancy. But at 11:55 A.M., a crowd of at least 300-400 people gathered around it to witness the bloody thing chime. What exactly happened? Instead of a half-retarded bird popping out, a village scene took place. And after twelve chimes, the entire crowd, reeking of sweat and hair oil began clapping. Clapping as though the new Pope just got elected. Like it was one of the greatest marvels of our time. A fucking cuckoo clock!
Two; The Nizam's jewels. With stuff in the exhibition collectively worth over Rs. 2000 Crore, it was mandatory that an entire body search was to be carried out. Rs. 2000 Crore... you heard me right. There was one diamond in there, called the Jacob Diamond. It was the size of one of my Sindhi friend's nose (Haha! I'm joking). Freakin' huge if you ask me... and it was worth around Rs. 400 Crore. BAKAKAKAKAKA! A figure like that would make the men at Ocean's Twelve shit in their pants. And guess what? It was used as a paper-weight!
At night, we went shopping. Since Hyderabad is a huge Muslim community, we decided to try the famous delicacy, namely, Haleem. It looked like some animal's dung. But looks are always deceiving... the taste wasn't so bad. It's made of some mutton and wheat and is supposed to be some kind of porridge. More PS2.
We burst crackers after dinner. And I almost got my face blown off. O.o

Day 3 wasn't rememberable. We returned to Bangalore by flight.

One day remains till school re-opens. I've got too much work to do that I haven't even started working on...

God bless my soul.

No comments: